(843) 345-6074
Home Type
Price Range

Insurance on the Coast


Isle of Palms Insurance Companies

Company Contact
Phone Number
John Kasaras
Pickney Carter Ins
(843-747-9073 #108
Kevin Christy
C.T. Lowndes & Company
(843) 863-3474
Gerard Stelling
McKay, Stelling & Associates
(843) 881-2229
Sam Schirmer
Sam Schirmer Insurance Agency
(843) 881-4707
Cherie Dumez
Coastal Insurance Services
(843) 568-8100
Linda Forslund
Tibboel Insurance
(843) 884-0069
Steve Atwill
Atwill Insurance Agency
(843) 760-0998

Island Homeowners Insurance Policies

If you are purchasing a home in Isle of Palms, you will need to obtain three separate insurance policies: Flood; Wind & Hail; and Homeowners or Dwelling (for rental properties). 

Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance is through the Federal Emergency Management Fund (FEMA  http://www.fema.gov/), the federal government program. If you obtain a mortgage on your property it is required by the lender that you have flood insurance. Although flood insurance is a government program, it is still purchased through your insurance agent. 

The degree of risk of flooding, age of your home and elevation of your home all play factors into the rate you receive from insurance companies.   Most insurance companies will have the same quotes (based on the above factors) as the rates are controlled by FEMA. 

The maximum available coverage is $250,000 on the structure/building and up to $100,000 for the contents in the dwelling. Docks are not covered under this insurance. In addition, you can buy excess flood insurance through an insurance company, however the rates tend to be extremely high. If you do not have an insurance agent, you can contact the National Flood Insurance Program for a referral at 1-800-427-4661 and/or contact one of the above insurance companies in our area.

For additional information regarding flood insurance, please visit FEMAs website at: http://www.fema.gov . One side note, current flood elevation certificates are usually required in order to obtain Flood Insurance.

Wind & Hail

The South Carolina Wind and Hail Underwriting Association usually provides policies for Wind & Hail coverage on the Isle of Palms.   Usually independent insurance agents  write these policies & the maximum coverage is $1,000,000 (including contents and loss of use). You can buy excess coverage as well.

Homeowners or Dwelling Insurance

Homeowners (owner occupied) or Dwelling (rental property) Insurance is necessary for coverage for fire, theft, liability…. Nationwide, Lloyds of London, and Lexington are a few insurance agencies that are currently writing policies. 

Additional coverage might be necessary for docks or bulkheads. 
Insurance coverage amounts, deductibles and policies are constantly changing thus it is essential to get current information directly from your insurance provider. I strongly recommend purchasing all three policies even if you are not obtaining a mortgage. And you must get at least three quotes, as rates vary depending on carriers exposure. I have seen rates float as much as 50% — so shop. Call me with questions.